February 24, 2014

Catching Up: Natural Bridge & Other Fun Stuff

Before our PCS to Germany, the Hubs and I spent several weeks visiting with family and friends across the country. With this move, we knew the visits home would be few and far between, so we needed to take advantage of the time we had before leaving the States.

That was such a busy time, I'm just now getting around to telling you about it! (Yes, I also know that I haven't finished telling you about Ireland, or that trip to the Caribbean either. I promise I'll get it all done, someday!).

We started this journey in Dallas, where we attended the Giants vs. Cowboys football game! As you know, I'm a huge Giants fan, but this game (heck, this season) didn't go very well for me or my team.

Almost game time! 
I was pretty excited, until…

Well, let's not talk about that. Let's just say the game didn't go as I'd hoped. Despite that, I had a great time. And, football wasn't the only thing Dallas had to offer. We also managed to sneak in a visit to one of my favorite places, C.A.R.E.

A refuge for exotic animals, the staff here is so friendly and informative. The tour really offers you an opportunity to get to know these beautiful animals. You can even "adopt" one of them if you choose!

One of C.A.R.E.'s residents 


After our family visit, we continued the journey across the country to Virginia. Whilst here, I was determined to fulfill a Bucket List item of mine. And I wanted to take my kid sister with me.

Have you ever ridden an elephant? No?? You must do it! Such a cool adventure, and if you try it out at the Natural Bridge Zoo, it's also super inexpensive. Seriously, peeps, it was $5 per person! You can't miss out on a ride.

Elephant ride! 

The zoo also offers you the chance to hold and feed a baby tiger. Naturally, we did this too! I was soaking up the fun with the Fam before we headed out on our European adventure.

Just down the road from the zoo is Natural Bridge itself. The "bridge" is a natural arch, 215 feet high, with George Washington's supposed initials carved into the rock. There is plenty to see and do in the area, so I highly recommend checking it out. If you'd like a cool little lunch spot, diner-style, be sure to check out the Pink Cadillac.

Natural Bridge

From Virginia, Hubs and I took off again, and spent an excellent weekend in one of my favorite places, the Outer Banks. Fresh seafood, fishing off the pier, walking the beach… LOVE IT! Me and my Dad have travelled here so many times together as I was growing up. I'm so glad we could enjoy the tradition one more time before we moved again.

Sunrise in the Outer Banks

Gorgeous, isn't it? If you've never been, you should go. The beautiful stretches of beach offer commercialized areas, as well as more naturally preserved spots. The best of both worlds!

After nearly 4 weeks of travel, the Hubs and I were pretty pooped. One long plane ride (and bus ride!) later, and we found ourselves suddenly living in Germany. The adventure has been great so far, but I'm especially happy we reserved some time with family prior to our departure.

Do you visit with your family in between PCS moves? What were some of your Bucket List items?

Ciao for now, peeps!


Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife


No comments:

Post a Comment